Mullica HIll 856-294-5600
Haddon Heights 856-547-7300
Haddon Pediatric Group     

What Parents Must Know About Managing School Health Issues

Between school sports physicals and immunizations for school, there are a lot of health-related issues to consider. Your child could get sick at school or sustain an injury. If your child requires medication to be taken during school hours, there are specific procedures for that. Food allergies are also a growing concern for more and more children.

Whether you are the worrying type of parent or not, it is still important to know how to manage your child’s health issues at school and in preparation for school or after-school activities. Here are some common parent questions answered by a pediatrician.


What if my child gets sick at school? If your child begins to feel sick at school, they can see either the school nurse or another staff member who is trained to handle illnesses. In most cases their temperature is taken and if they have a fever or are vomiting, the parents will be notified and someone will need to pick them up.

If they don’t have a fever they can either return to class or a parent can be called to make a decision on whether or not to pick them up. Each school tends to have their own policy on handling illnesses without fever, so check with your child’s school so you’ll know what to expect.

What if my child gets injured at school? Minor injuries are handled with basic first aid such as Band-Aids and ice packs. Often, school nurses will send home a brief summary of what happened and what they did to help.  Major injuries that require emergency attention will be handled appropriately, whether by calling 911 or notifying the parents who may want to take them to urgent care or the emergency room.

What if my child needs to take daily medication at school? Each school has a policy on how they handle medications that need to be taken during the day. Medications are administered by either a school nurse or a trained staff member. Contact your child’s school at the beginning of the school year for information on how medication is handled and again for any new medications that may be required as the year goes on. Every school has a form that must be filled out before the medicine can be given. Once you get this from the school (or their website), you can bring it to our office to be filled out and signed. Remember that medicine must be dropped off at the school by an adult.

In the case of a child who is diabetic and needs to check blood sugar periodically throughout the day, the school nurse or trained staff can monitor or administer this.

What if my child has a severe food allergy? Talk with your child’s school teacher and school nurse about how they handle food allergies. Your child’s school will have procedures in place to protect children with severe food allergies such as nut-free classrooms and nut-free tables in the cafeteria. Most schools will give you an Allergy Action Plan to be filled out by our office. You will also need to have a medicine form in order to have an Epi-Pen or Auvi-Q at school.  Remember there should always be 2 epinephrine devices wherever your child is, so you’ll need at least 2 boxes (one for home, one for school). Call for refills if needed,

What if my child has an allergy that requires an Epi-Pen? Severe allergies to foods or insect stings may require an epi-pen for immediate treatment. Your child’s school should have a procedure in place for keeping epi-pen’s in a safe, but easily accessible location should one be needed.

What if my child gets injured during an after-school sport or club? If your child stays after school for a sport or club there is always a chance of injury. Coaches and teachers should have procedures for handling school sports injuries both in and outside the school building after regular school hours.

What immunizations for school are required? Required immunizations vary by school and age. Your child’s school can tell you what immunizations are required based on the grade your child will be in. Many public schools will not allow a student to attend who is not up to date on required immunizations. If you have a medical or religious reason to opt out of immunizations, you will need acceptable documentation stating that.

Where can my child get a school sports physical? Before playing a school sport it is often required that each child have a school sports physical performed by a pediatrician stating that they are healthy enough to play the sport without any unusual health risks. Any health risks that arise can be discussed between the pediatrician, coach, and parents to determine eligibility to participate. Our office can perform this physical and fill out the required forms.

Advocare Haddon Pediatric Group can Help with School-Related Health Needs

Are you in need of Pediatric Services in New Jersey? Whether it’s a school sports physical or immunizations for school, Advocare Haddon Pediatric Group can handle your child’s health needs. If your child comes home sick from school or with an injury, we are ready to help.

Call (856) 547-7300 to make an appointment at our Haddon Heights Office or (856) 294-5600 to make an appointment at our Mullica Hill Office. Advocare Haddon Pediatric Group wants your child to be as safe and healthy as possible at school.

Posted: 10/30/2019 9:04:06 PM by Paul Matz | with 0 comments

Trackback URL:

Blog post currently doesn't have any comments.